How to Divide the Habsburg Thrones if Charles VI becomes King of Spain?

Coat_of_Arms_of_Archduke_Charles_of_Austria_as_Spanish_Royal_Pretender.svg (1).png
Portrait_of_Charles_III_of_Habsburg.jpg

Coat of Arms and Image of Archduke Charles of Austria as Charles III of Spain

Lore of the althistory "Victoria Austracista": In 1707, the Allies of Archduke Charles triumph in Jativa [Battle of Almansa OTL], maintaining control over the Kingdom of Aragon and that in the end, in the face of the French economic crisis in 1709, would end up influencing Louis XIV to accept the Premilinares of The Hague and leaving the way clear for the Archduke to take the Spanish throne in 1710 as Charles III. Later in 1715, the exiled Philip of Anjou (former Philip V of Spain) takes the French throne as Philip VII following the death of his grandfather Louis XIV, as well as the early death of Louis XV OTL.

With this we have Archduke Charles being the Spanish king just one year before the OTL death of his brother Joseph I and which would lead him to inherit the throne as Holy Roman Emperor, which inevitably leads us to a second Austro-Spanish personal union, and in turn, that at some point the Habsburgs will have to separate again into branches of Vienna and Madrid.

But... what is the best option for this? Maybe Joseph I living longer? Joseph I having a son? That the daughters of Joseph I were the ones who maintained their role in Austria? A division between the daughters of Charles VI? Even a split between a surviving male child of Charles VI and Maria Theresa? or even a hypothetical division between Maria Teresa's children around 1780 (for example, Joseph II for Austria and Leopold II for Spain)?

Last edited:
View attachment 858486View attachment 858488

Coat of Arms and Image of Archduke Charles of Austria as Charles III of Spain

Lore of the althistory "Victoria Austracista": In 1707, the Allies of Archduke Charles triumph in Jativa [Battle of Almansa OTL], maintaining control over the Kingdom of Aragon and that in the end, in the face of the French economic crisis in 1709, would end up influencing Louis XIV to accept the Premilinares of The Hague and leaving the way clear for the Archduke to take the Spanish throne in 1710 as Charles III. Later in 1715, the exiled Philip of Anjou (former Philip V of Spain) takes the French throne as Philip VII following the death of his grandfather Louis XIV, as well as the early death of Louis XV OTL.

With this we have Archduke Charles being the Spanish king just one year before the OTL death of his brother Joseph I and which would lead him to inherit the throne as Holy Roman Emperor, which inevitably leads us to a second Austro-Spanish personal union, and in turn, that at some point the Habsburgs will have to separate again into branches of Vienna and Madrid.

But... what is the best option for this? Maybe Joseph I living longer? Joseph I having a son? That the daughters of Joseph I were the ones who maintained their role in Austria? A division between the daughters of Charles VI? Even a split between a surviving male child of Charles VI and Maria Theresa? or even a hypothetical division between Maria Teresa's children around 1780 (for example, Joseph II for Austria and Leopold II for Spain)?
Joseph I living longer and leaving a son is the best option for everyone involved.

Pragmatic sanction for Joseph’s oldest daughter.
Would not work with a male heir around. You need either Leopold Joseph of Austria survive or Joseph I generating another male heir (and living long enough to see him elected as King of the Romans, reason for which the first option would be better)

Last edited:
Joseph I living longer and leaving a son is the best option for everyone involved.
If Joseph I did not die in 1711, how many years of life do you think he would have to live? because I don't know, let's say, let's say that he lives a sufficient amount of time to have two sons (A bit complicated since Joseph I contracted a sexually transmitted disease, probably syphilis, which he transmitted to his wife Wilhelmine Amalie of Brunswick, leaving her sterile, although it is not known in what specific year). Well, perhaps that youngest son could be destined to have the Habsburg incestuous tradition and be married to Maria Theresa.
In fact, since Maria Theresa was the princess of Asturias (let's say that Charles VI has the same children as OTL), do you think she would have also married Francis of Lorraine (Francis I) or would she have had another husband?

Last edited:
If Joseph I did not die in 1711, how many years of life do you think he would have to live? because I don't know, let's say, let's say that he lives a sufficient amount of time to have two sons (A bit complicated since Joseph I contracted a sexually transmitted disease, probably syphilis, which he transmitted to his wife Wilhelmine Amalie of Brunswick, leaving her sterile, although it is not known in what specific year). Well, perhaps that youngest son could be destined to have the Habsburg incestuous tradition and be married to Maria Theresa.
In fact, since Maria Theresa was the princess of Asturias (let's say that Charles VI has the same children as OTL), do you think she would have also married Francis of Lorraine (Francis I) or would she have had another husband?
Keep alive his first son and then Joseph would be likely able to have him elected as King of the Roman as soon the boy reached 10/12 years meaning who he would not need to live much longer than OTL (the Empire would go under regency until the 18th birthday of his son but the Crown would remain to the Habsburg unchallenged). Not sure of who could be a good husband for Maria Theresa, in the unlikely case she had no brother. Still Francis of Lorraine is not a likely husband for her in this scenario…

Keep alive his first son and then Joseph would be likely able to have him elected as King of the Roman as soon the boy reached 10/12 years meaning who he would not need to live much longer than OTL (the Empire would go under regency until the 18th birthday of his son but the Crown would remain to the Habsburg unchallenged).
That is a problem because the Point of Divergence of History is in 1707, while Leopold Joseph died in 1701, it would necessarily have to be a son born after 1707, there would be the possibility that Joseph I, despite having syphilis, could have a child, let's say through another marriage?
Not sure of who could be a good husband for Maria Theresa, in the unlikely case she had no brother. Still Francis of Lorraine is not a likely husband for her in this scenario…
I think I remember reading once that Maria Theresa or one of her sisters was grouped with Joseph I of Portugal, which given her age I suppose sounds good, although again it would be going down the path of another Iberian union.

Keep alive his first son and then Joseph would be likely able to have him elected as King of the Roman as soon the boy reached 10/12 years meaning who he would not need to live much longer than OTL (the Empire would go under regency until the 18th birthday of his son but the Crown would remain to the Habsburg unchallenged).
I agree, keeping a son of Joseph alive would be the best option.
Not sure of who could be a good husband for Maria Theresa, in the unlikely case she had no brother. Still Francis of Lorraine is not a likely husband for her in this scenario…
No here she will be the future Queen of Spain, on paper a Portuguese match makes a lot of sense, but do Portugal and Spain want a new union? Moreover perhaps ITTL Francis of the house of Lorraine, might be duke of Milan (and not duke of Lorraine & Bar) after this war has ended.

I agree, keeping a son of Joseph alive would be the best option.
The thing would be whether Joseph has that son and whether it is legitimate, because the other options are either that the inheritance falls to the daughters of Emperor Joseph or a division after Charles III/VI. In fact, how likely would it be that Leopold Johann (Maria Theresa's older brother) is the heir to the Holy Empire but not Spain
No here she will be the future Queen of Spain, on paper a Portuguese match makes a lot of sense, but do Portugal and Spain want a new union? Moreover perhaps ITTL Francis of the house of Lorraine, might be duke of Milan (and not duke of Lorraine & Bar) after this war has ended.

Well, I don't know if an Iberian Union would serve any purpose, but in those years there was a situation of "double marriage" where Joseph I of Portugal married a Spanish princess, and in turn a sister of Joseph I married the future Ferdinand VI of Spain, so I suppose the option of a marriage is viable.
Edit: The idea of Francis as Duke of Milan sounds interesting, although Spain, at least in this story, does not suffer a territorial loss with France, but it could be a Lorraine-type exchange currency for Roussillon.

Last edited: